Friday, April 9, 2010

Here we go....

So I've been cooking A LOT! I have just not been good about taking pictures...Sorry! I am here to fix that. I am committing to posting at least once a week.

Two weeks ago I decided to make Spaghetti and Meatballs since my SLP (Significant Life Partner) had been nagging me about it and it's his favorite! A little history about this recipe. My mother is a phenomenal cook and has passed many of her recipes down to me and this is one. My mother's friend's mother (or maybe it's her friend's grandmother...) is Italian and the sauce recipe came from the friend's family. I've tried numerous types of tomato sauce in this recipe and have found my favorite brands so I dare you to find yours! You can easily halve this recipe if it sounds like to much food for you and yours.

Spaghetti Sauce

1/4 of medium onion (roughly 1/2 cup), chopped
3 gloves garlic, minced
2 GIANT cans (28 oz each) tomato sauce
1 small (6-8 oz variety) Italian-style tomato paste
42 oz water (or less depending on consistency preference)

Coat bottom of with Olive Oil. Saute onion and garlic until soft and aromatic. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil. OPTIONAL: add Italian sweet sausage in bite size pieces. Add garlic powder and some sugar to taste. Sauce will thicken as it simmers over a few hours. If it is to watery add a little more tomato sauce.

Meatballs

1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2-3 gloves garlic (or to taste preference...I will often use 5-6)
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning Mix
1 egg

Combine all ingredients in bowl until combined. It works best if you use your hands =) If the mixture feels to moist and doesn't adhere add some more breadcrumbs. Proceed to make small meatballs. Size wise you want them no larger than a golf ball. Drop the meatballs into the sauce above instead of the sausage links. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.





Feel free to tweak to your taste preferences! Just a note...I have used petite diced tomatoes instead of one of the cans of tomato sauce to give it a chunkier texture and it's pretty yummy that way, too! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! It's a go to favorite for our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment